The European Center for Democracy and Human Rights (ECDHR) is a non-profit organisation based in Brussels that seeks to foster awareness of and support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries. The ECDHR advocates for the rights of individuals in the Gulf to key actors within the EU governments, the international community, and the general public. The ECDHR was set up in by a coalition between Americans for Democracy and Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB), the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR) and the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy (BIRD).
Job Description: Advocacy Associate
The Advocacy Associate plays an active role in developing ECDHR’s advocacy initiatives and strategies aimed at advancing human rights and democracy in Bahrain and the Gulf. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Serve as primary point of contact for NGOs and think tanks, and represent ECDHR at coalition meetings, conferences, and events.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with the NGO and think tank community.
- Develop and execute coordinated NGO advocacy campaigns.
- Research, analyze, and synthesize information and data about the human rights situation in Bahrain and the Gulf and the EU and Member States positioning to accurately document violations and develop advocacy initiatives.
- Compile reports, white papers, briefing memos, letters, and other advocacy materials.
- Assist with outreach to the European Parliament, EU Member States, the European External Action Service (EEAS), and United Nations officials.
- Assist in the development, coordination, and implementation of overall advocacy strategies that advance support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and the Gulf.
- Assist with administrative duties as needed.
- Hire and manage Advocacy interns.
Qualifications and Skills:
- 1-3 years of experience.
- BA required, and MA in international relations, public policy, EU affairs, human rights, or related field a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and execution of advocacy strategies, as well as managing projects.
- Experience in research and report writing preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and French.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a collaborative working environment.
- Arabic language skills are a plus, but not required.
To apply for this position, please email your CV and Cover Letter to: email@example.com