The European Centre for Democracy and Human Rights (ECDHR) is the European representation of a network of NGOs composed of Americans for Democracy and Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB), the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR) and the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy (BIRD) seeking to promote human rights and democracy in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Region.
The ECDHR is in charge of representing the network at the EU level to engage in awareness raising and conduct a public affairs strategy with EU stakeholders in order to defend and uphold human rights and democracy in the Gulf.
The ECDHR is looking for an intern for a period of six months, on a full-time basis, to help with its tasks and mission in its Brussels’ office.
This position is remunerated.
The intern will:
- Monitor and report on the EU policy, legal and political developments relevant to ECDHR’s mission;
- Follow and report on hearings, briefings, and other meetings in Brussels to help foment ECDHR’s work;
- Assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials;
- Assist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications, including blog posts, editorial pieces, and informative backgrounders;
- Support lengthy analytical external reports through research and writing;
- Engage in mapping and outreach exercises with EU stakeholders;
- Prepare updates for the website and other media-related materials; and
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- A degree (minimum 3 years of higher education) in European Studies, Law, Politics, International Relations or Communications;
- The candidate will preferably hold a Masters’ degree in a similar discipline;
- A minimum of previous 6 month’s experience in working on EU Public Affairs or EU Communications in highly desirable;
- Previous work experience in the EU Institutions is a plus;
- Full working knowledge of the EU Institutions and the EU’s decision-making process;
- Interested in and knowledgeable of human rights issues, particularly with respect to freedom of speech, expression, and association, due process rights, and/or prisoners’ rights;
- Proficient analytical and writing skills;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment;
- Solid organizational and time-management skills;
- Committed to ECDHR’s mission;
- Proficient English (both written and spoken) and sound knowledge of at least another EU Official language (knowledge of Dutch or German is a plus).
ECDHR is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
Please email your CV and Cover Letter (max. 1 page) to the attention of Ms. Cerda Marcos by 3 April 2015 – 18.00 CET to firstname.lastname@example.org
European Centre for Democracy and Human Rights, Rue de la Liniere 11, 1060 St-Gilles.