The Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy (BIRD) is seeking creative and passionate applicants for our Summer Internship programme. Interns play a central role in the organisation that include research, communications and drafting reports.
Applications Close: 20 April 2015
Duration of Internship: 15th June- 15th September 2015 (or as soon as possible)
Internships at BIRD last for three months subsisting of both short term and long-term goals. The intern will be working in a small vibrant team campaigning for human rights in Bahrain. The intern will also work in a group specifically on long term research goals.
- Track and report on UK government policies and statements pertaining to the human rights situation in Bahrain;
- Attend hearings, briefings, and other meetings in the UK Parliament as needed;
- Assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials;
- Research and draft legislative fact sheets and other Parliament related materials;
- Track Bahrain-related news, legislation, and statements by policymakers, the UK government, and the United Nations on a daily basis;
- Assist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications;
- Engage in community outreach;
- Support mobilization of grassroots on the issue of human rights in Bahrain;
- Prepare first drafts of external communications, including blog posts, press releases, and articles for publication;
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
We would expect the successful intern to have the following:
- An undergraduate/graduate in a related subject e.g. Law, international affairs, Middle Eastern studies, criminal justice, politics and policy etc.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Excellent communication & networking skills.
- Strong research skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- The ability to work in a small team effectively.
- Demonstrable interest in universal human rights and the Gulf region.
- Experience working with twitter and social media campaigns.
- Language skills: French, Spanish or Arabic.
- Past experience in working for an NGO or charity or with the UK Parliament.
1. Language skills: French, Spanish or Arabic.
2. Past experience in working for an NGO or charity or with the UK Parliament.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and a brief writing sample to “firstname.lastname@example.org“. Please use “Summer Advocacy & Policy Internship 2015” as the subject title of your email.