The Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy (BIRD) is seeking creative and passionate applicants for our Summer Internship programme. Interns play a central role in the organisation that include research, communications and drafting reports.
Applications Close: 20th April 2015
Duration of Internship: 15th June- 15th September 2015 (or as soon as possible)
Internships at BIRD last for three months subsisting of both short term and long-term goals. The intern will be working in a small vibrant team campaigning for human rights in Bahrain. The intern will also work in a group specifically on long term research goals.
- Identify and research domestic and international law pertaining to issues in Bahrain;
- Prepare client complaints for United Nations documentation;
- Prepare research memoranda on United Nations systems;
- Attend and take notes from conferences and events of interest to BIRD;
- Assist with client interviews as necessary;
- Assist the advocacy team as necessary;
- Research on International law topics related to Bahrain;
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
We would expect the successful intern to have the following:
- Be currently enrolled in or have completed a law related degree;
- Have taken or be in the process of taking a course on public international law and/or international human rights law, or be demonstrably familiar with the concepts of public international law and/or international human rights law;
- Demonstrate superb writing skills;
- Excellent spoken and written English;
- Excellent communication & networking skills;
- Strong research skills;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work independently;
- The ability to work in a small team effectively;
- Demonstrable interest in universal human rights and the Gulf region.
- Language skills: French, Spanish or Arabic.
- Past experience in working for an NGO or charity or with the UN.
1. Language skills: French, Spanish or Arabic.
2. Past experience in working for an NGO or charity or with the UN.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and a brief writing sample to “firstname.lastname@example.org“. Please use “Summer Legal Internship 2015” as the subject title of your email.