The Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy (BIRD) is seeking creative and passionate applicants for our Summer Internship programme. Interns play a central role in the organisation that include research, communications and drafting reports.
Applications Close: 20th April 2015
Duration of Internship: 15th June- 15th September 2015 (or as soon as possible)
Internships at BIRD last for three months subsisting of both short term and long term goals. The intern will be working in a small vibrant team campaigning for human rights in Bahrain. The intern will also work in a group specifically on long term research goals.
- Track and summarize Bahrain-related news, legislation, and statements by policymakers, the UK Government, and United Nations officials on a daily basis;
- Prepare first drafts of external communications, including blog posts, press releases, and articles for publication;
- Prepare updates for the website and other media-related materials;
- Prepare research papers and assist in research for reports;
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
We would expect the successful intern to have the following:
- Degree in a related subject;
- Interest in and knowledgeable of human rights, particularly with respect to freedom of speech, expression, and association, due process rights, and/or prisoners’ rights;
- Excellent spoken and written English;
- Excellent communication & networking skills;
- Strong research skills;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work independently;
- The ability to work in a small team effectively;
- Demonstrable interest in universal human rights and the Gulf region.
- Language skills: French, Spanish or Arabic.
- Past experience in working for an NGO or charity.
1. Language skills: French, Spanish or Arabic.
2. Past experience in working for an NGO or charity.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and a brief writing sample to “firstname.lastname@example.org”. Please use “Summer Research Internship 2015” as the subject title of your email.