We are seeking creative and passionate applicants to be part of our tight-knit team to join our policy team to raise awareness on human rights issues in Bahrain and the Arab Gulf states. As a policy intern at BIRD, you will learn how to draft policy briefing papers and participate in parliamentary human rights advocacy in the UK. You will also aid in events and attend parliamentary meetings when needed.
Duration: November 2015 – January 2016, with possibility of renewal
Closing Date: 30 October 2015
Intern travel and lunch expenses will be paid by BIRD.
- Track and report on UK government policies and statements pertaining to the human rights situation in Bahrain.
- Attend hearings, briefings, and other meetings in the UK Parliament as needed.
- Assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials.
- Research and draft legislative fact sheets and other Parliament related materials.
- Track Bahrain-related news, legislation, and statements by policymakers, the UK government, and the United Nations on a daily basis.
- Assist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications.
- Engage in community outreach.
- Support mobilization of grassroots on the issue of human rights in Bahrain.
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
We would expect the successful intern to have the following:
- An undergraduate/graduate in a related subject e.g. Law, international affairs, Middle Eastern studies, criminal justice, politics and policy, etc; or to be enrolled in one.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Excellent communication & networking skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- The ability to work in a small team effectively.
- Demonstrable interest in universal human rights and the Gulf region.
- Experience working with twitter and social media campaigns.
- Language skills: French, Spanish or Arabic.
- Past experience in working for an NGO, charity or with the UK Parliament.
Please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com with the subject “Policy Internship.”
The covering letter should be no longer than one side of A4.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.