We are seeking a creative and passionate candidate to join our tight-knit team to raise awareness on human rights issues in Bahrain and the Arab Gulf states. The position available is: 2021 Summer Communications & Advocacy Intern. Please see below for a detailed description of the role and instructions on how to apply.
As a Communications & Advocacy intern at BIRD, you will make a valuable contribution to our ongoing activities and assist in developing our grassroots outreach and public communications strategy on human rights issues in Bahrain. You will be responsible for communicating with our supporters and compelling them to engage with BIRD’s projects and events. You will take a lead on the development of both short and long-term advocacy projects, generating support for our campaigns and advocacy. You will do this by creatively utilising our mailing lists, our social media platforms including Twitter and Instagram, and online campaigning tools like iParl. You will be expected to draft and design clear and concise advocacy materials to share via these platforms.
You will also learn about how human rights work at an international level, at the United Nations and within the European Union, and the impact of human rights policies in international relations.
Duration: 3 months, part-time (ideally 3 days a week), with the possibility to extend.
Hours: 10:00 – 17:00
Closing Date: Applications are considered on a rolling basis, but we are looking to fill the position as soon as possible.
Salary: 60 GBP / day
- Design and deliver engaging social media content across a range of platforms
- Explore and use a range of digital media to expand the visibility of campaigns and attract wider support
- Assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials.
- Participate in meetings to determine campaign strategy
- Prepare emails and promotional materials for BIRD supporters
- Deliver BIRD’s weekly newsletter
- Compose external communications, including blog posts, press releases, speeches, and articles for publication.
- Communicate with parliamentary members and other relevant parties, via phone and/or email, to secure their support for BIRD’s projects and advocacy efforts and attendance to events as required.
Other tasks you may be asked to assist with:
- Track and report on the human rights situation in Bahrain.
- Track Bahrain-related news, legislation, and statements by policymakers, the UK government, and the United Nations on a daily basis.
- Attend meetings and take minutes.
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
We would expect a successful applicant to have the following:
- Excellent communication & networking skills.
- Outstanding writing skills.
- Creative eye for design.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work both independently, taking your own initiative and contributing your own ideas, and in a team effectively.
- Experience working with Twitter, Instagram and social media campaigns.
- Interest in universal human rights and the Gulf region.
- To have completed a minimum of two years undergraduate degree in a related subject e.g. Communications, Political Sciences, Law, International Relations, Middle Eastern studies, Journalism, Criminal Justice, Policy, etc.
- Past experience in working for an NGO, charity or with the UK Parliament
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Familiarity with Canva.
- Familiarity with video editing software (iMovie)
- Familiarity with Mailchimp.
- Arabic is an asset
How to apply?
Please email a cover letter along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject heading ‘2021 Summer Communications & Advocacy Intern’. The covering letter should be no longer than one side of A4. Any applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, but we are looking to start interviews as soon as possible. Please note that due to the large amount of applications received, we will only be able to reply to short-listed candidates.
Job Type: Paid Part-time Internship