We are seeking a creative and passionate candidate to join our tight-knit team to raise awareness on human rights issues in Bahrain and the Arab Gulf states. The position available is: 2021 Winter Policy & Advocacy Intern. Please see below for a detailed description of the role and instructions on how to apply.
As a Policy & Advocacy intern at BIRD, you will make a valuable contribution to our ongoing activities. You will learn how to draft policy briefing papers and participate in parliamentary human rights advocacy in the UK. You will be responsible for communicating with parliamentary members and compelling them to engage with BIRD’s projects and events. You will contribute to the development of both short and long-term projects, generating research for our campaigns and advocacy. You will also learn about how human rights work at an international level, at the United Nations and within the European Union, and the impact of human rights policies in international relations.
Duration: 3 months, part-time (ideally 3 days a week), with the possibility to extend.
Closing Date: Applications are considered on a rolling basis, but we are looking to fill the position as soon as possible.
Salary: Voluntary Internship
- Track and report on the human rights situation in Bahrain.
- Track Bahrain-related news, legislation, and statements by policymakers, the UK government, and the United Nations on a daily basis.
- Prepare first drafts of external communications, including blog posts, press releases, speeches, and articles for publication.
- Communicate with parliamentary members and other relevant parties, via phone and/or email, to secure their support for BIRD’s projects and advocacy efforts and attendance to events as required.
- Assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials.
- Conduct primary and secondary research on a variety of human rights and international relations-related topics.
- Research and draft legislative fact sheets and other Parliament related materials.
- Assist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications.
- Attend meetings and take minutes.
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
We would expect a successful applicant to have the following:
- To have completed a minimum of two years undergraduate degree in a related subject e.g. Law, International Relations, Middle Eastern studies, Journalism, Criminal Justice, Politics and Policy, etc.
- Fluency in English.
- Outstanding writing skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work both independently and in a team effectively.
- Excellent communication & networking skills.
- Interest in universal human rights and the Gulf region.
- Experience working with Twitter and social media campaigns.
- Past experience in working for an NGO, charity or with the UK Parliament
- Arabic is an asset
How to apply?
Please email a cover letter along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject heading ‘2021 Winter Policy & Advocacy Intern’. The covering letter should be no longer than one side of A4. Any applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, but we are looking to start interviews as soon as possible. Please note that due to the large amount of applications received, we will only be able to reply to short-listed candidates.
Job Type: Voluntary Internship